The structure at 171 King Street West was built in 1837 by William Millward – a stonemason who arrived from England two years prior. It is believed that it was initially constructed as a residential building. The architectural style is Georgian, which was popular for the time period. The building stayed within the Millward family until 1914. By 1919, Dr. Lorne Main became the owner and made the building into a home, office and clinic.
The 1928 Town of Dundas Directory lists this address as having been Brown’s Funeral Parlors at the time. The funeral parlor was originally owned by George Brown (b. 1853- d. 1926). He had four sons: John George, Albert J., W. Lewis, and Gordon Archibald – it was Albert who became his father’s successor and inherited the funeral home. The 1932 Town of Dundas Directory lists Albert Brown as the funeral director.
In 2002, 171 King Street West received formal designation as a heritage building by the Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee (LACAC). This means that it is recognized under the Ontario Heritage Act.
Currently, the Achieve Learning Centre has been operating out of this location.
Thanks to the students of McMaster University Department of History for their assistance with this project.