This plain brick house dates from 1855 and was constructed in the late Georgian style. The original owner was Phillip McMahon.
As well as being a home for the McMahon family, it was used for a time as the first Catholic school in the area. Classes were held in the dining room. The property once included a 2 storey frame cooper’s shop in the rear.
After his death in 1885, title to the home reverted to McMahon’s three un-married daughters. By 1912, only daughter Margaret remained in the home.
The building may have been intended to be part of a row or terrace, as there are no windows in the gable ends. The exterior front facade is in “Flemish bond”, a brick pattern of the 19th century that was unusual to Dundas. While the remaining walls are constructed of “common bond”, the centre window on the second floor has been altered and would have originally matched the other two windows.