This 1930’s era steam hammer was first used during Canada’s industrial effort during WWII. Hamilton company Stelco purchased this steam hammer in 1954. At that time, the Bertram Shop on Hatt Street had been well-known for their high-quality workmanship for nearly a century. The machines they produced were used in the manufacturing of products such as engines, locomotives, and in mining.
Workers at Stelco would have used the steam hammer to mold a block of molten steel into the necessary shape. The steam driven piston exerted tremendous pressure on the malleable steel. In the early days, workers held the steel in place with tongs. Later, a much safer hydraulic arm replaced the tongs.
The steam hammer, now restored, resides at the Park Street entrance of the Museum.