Herbert C. Davis was one of Dundas’ leading merchants, owning a grocery store at 28 King street W. The store was originally owned by Andrew Graham who ran it another location. Andrew’s son William moved it to this site, but on his appointment as post master sold the business to Davis. It was one of the longest surviving grocery stores in Dundas from 1891 to 1946 when a fire forced him to close the business.
In 1912 he was voted the most popular merchant in town, and in 1914 was elected Reeve of the Valley Town. He was Mayor of Dundas in 1918, and it was during his term in office that sewers were first installed. Herbert and his brother Charles were great dog fanciers. Their show dogs were grand champions at Dog Shows in New York, Chicago and Toronto. Herbert was an outstanding athlete, a star pitcher on the Dundas Stars Baseball team, and as a member of the Dundas team that won the 1904 Ontario Curling Tankard bringing back the Governor General of Canada Trophy back to Dundas.