Glenholme figured prominently in the story of the Bertram family. The home, built in 1872, was the residence of John Bertram, followed by his son Henry. Henry and his wife Jennie moved to Glenholme after his father’s death in April 1906, and raised their family there. Both father and son served as presidents of the family-owned company which manufactured heavy machine tools.
Henry lived in the home until his death in 1945.
The eight and a half acre property was located on the north side of Governor’s Road, opposite what is now St. Joseph’s Villa, and west of Ogilvie Street. The estate was comprised of the massive three storey brick house, extensive gardens, and an orchard.
Henry also served a term as mayor of Dundas and was on the town’s parks board. The family history also notes that he earned international recognition as a cultivator of flowers at his home, particularly roses. He was awarded high points for his exhibits in 1924 and 1825 at the Ontario Rose Show in Toronto.
In December 1946 the Dundas Star reported that the residence and grounds had been sold to A.R. Pearce, a Hamilton contractor and builder, who intended to use it as a retirement home.
Subsequently, in April 1947, the property was purchased by the Resurrectionist Brothers, based in Kitchener, as the site for a novitiate for young priests in training. Over the next few years, they made several improvements to the buildings and grounds. They included enlarging the home to accommodate the novices and staff, who lived in residence. Other additions included an athletic field and a skating rink.
In addition to their studies, the novices tended the vegetable and flower gardens.
In 1969, the Resurrection Brothers closed the Novitiate, and moved it to London.
Glenholme was demolished in 1978 to make way for a large apartment and townhouse development.