Located at 31 Melville Street, this small cottage was built by Alexander Chalmers, a local saddle and harness maker sometime in the 1840s. The style is derived from the earlier styles seen in such homes as Wood Dale and Eastridge, built by more affluent British immigrants.
The cottage was purchased by the Rev. Mark Young Stark in 1856 and served as the rectory for Knox Presbyterian Church for many years. It was Stark who named the house “Kirkhill Cottage”.