The Music Hall was officially opened on February 24th, 1911. The lot on which it sits was, in 1798, granted by the Crown to Ralph Morden, whose father had been executed during the American Revolution.
George Pirie, a local workman and later a successful merchant, owned the two lots along Foundry Street in the 1840s. By 1868 Pirie owned the whole of the east side of Foundry Street as well as property on King Street. George and Margaret Pirie rented their frame houses and stores along both Foundry and King Streets to numerous tenants.
The stores fronting on King Street during this time included Hendry’s Bakery, Miss Shine’s Fancy Goods Store and Kappheim ‘s Shoes. The shoe store was physically moved down King Street when Mrs. Pirie sold the property to John Pennington, owner of the Valley City Seating Co., in 1910.
The finished Hall is in the Classical Revival style, with beautiful architectural features such as cornice detailing, pediments and friezes. The words MUSIC HALL are still visible on the King Street façade, below which stands a balcony accompanied by metal and glass light fixtures.
Guests entered from Foundry Street and climbed the interior stairs which led to the large 700 seat hall. Here they witnessed a wide range of performances and entertainments. Beginning in 1941 the Hall featured live bands and Saturday afternoon dances for the youth of Dundas. In subsequent years the Hall served as a badminton court, an auction house and more recently, apartments.