This corner site was part of the Crown grant to Ann Morden in 1798. In 1808 she sold her land to William Hare, who opened a road across his farm which is now known as King Street.
By 1852 Samuel and Benjamin Overfield had opened a new general store here. In 1868 James Coleman, a Mayor of Dundas, was selling his milled grain in the store.
Joseph and James Webster, whose family name is on Webster’s Falls, operated a grain store at this site from about 1874 until the turn of the century.
The great fire of September 27, 1881 destroyed the original frame building. By 1883 the Websters had built a two storey brick building and resumed their feed business. Shoemakers, tinsmiths, a hatter, a furrier, butchers, a Gospel Hall and a laundress were all once tenants here.
In about 1905 J.J. and J.B. Grafton bought the building and converted it to the manufacturing of mens’ clothing. Giant boilers for pre-shrinking woollen fabric were installed, as well as a cutting room and storage space.
The Graftons’ store across the street, along with the adjacent factory next door, made an impressive entrance to the Dundas business area.